Saturday, July 19, 2008

I thought they served beef last night till I recognized the Swahili word for "goat"

I find my relationship with Kenya mirroring any other relationship. I believe I am still in the honeymoon phase. I am partially blinded by the newness and still find novelty in that which eventually I will tire of. I am continually awestruck and probably still see more of what it wants me to see rather than what really is. I hope, as time goes on, that I become more comfortable looking deeper and possibly losing some of the glimmer but trading it for more substance. I am starting to be closer and more comfortable opening up to and with staff, interpreters, drivers, strangers, headmasters, etc. Many of them sugar coat all that they are feeling but the more I genuinely listen, the more that is revealed. I await with anxious anticipation finding the real Kenya, and what part in it and it's future I play. I am falling in love.

I am currently in Kisumu which, despite what I thought, is very much South of Bungoma. It is the third largest city in the country and with that comes the novelty of seeing other white people (though still only a few). It is almost funny how accustomed the handful of volunteers have become to being the only ones. Also with tourism comes Western food. It was the first time I've had cheese in weeks! We indulged heavily for lunch, haggled our way through the market and came out with many wonderful things, and will head over soon for what will probably be an equally indulgent dinner. Two of the newest volunteers came with and all of a sudden I found myself playing the role that many of those who left played for me, and with a great ease. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly we can adapt. Tomorrow morning we'll take a boat onto Lake Victoria (hopefully seeing hippos along the way!), some freshly caught tilapia, perhaps some more shopping, and back the 3 hours home.

I start my Empower week on Monday and both of the co-teachers have left so it will be exciting to be able to run it by myself. I'm sure by next weekend I'll be ready to have a long sleep but it is hard to pass up opportunities to explore. I'm considering taking my last week or so here to safari and also do either Mt. Kilimanjaro or possibly Zanzibar. So far the last of the volunteers leave the week of the 14th so it may be good timing for me to venture off. But alas, that is very far away and anything could happen.

Oh, and the local tribe's circumcision ceremony is in a few weeks. Every night this week they've done some sort of ritual where they run through the villages screaming and drumming... I'm not sure exactly the point but what I am sure of is I plan on attending. Yeah. You heard me.

Time for more milk based products.
All my love.

2 comments:

Northwest Passages said...

The phone conversation on Saturday was great. The connection was the best yet. Glad you got to talk to ME and Luke. Met ME's beau, he's very nice. I told her you would probably want to visit them in Chicago. A great city. Geiss's are good and the house is almost done. I am cat sitting for Colby Ford this week. Gia can smell Colby when I come home. Your travels seem wonderful and I am glad to hear that you are starting to experience the real reason you are in Africa. You know I'm proud of you and the caring person that you are. love you lots, miss you much. xxoomom

Northwest Passages said...

Just re-reading your last entry for a sense of you. Hope all is well. We'll sent up another phone call soon. Text us when you're around. Crackin' a cold Newcastle, thinkin' of you.
Love ya. Dad