It's quite the bittersweet night. A few of the volunteers are celebrating their last night. So there will be drinking, eating, and heaps of laughing I can be sure. Luckily many of them are going to school in Philadelphia so they won't be far away.
I've been teaching at primary schools all this week... many of whom have never seen a white person so it's always a swarm of hundrds of children. Like little African paparazzi. They have been far from the farm, though, and with the van breaking down more frequently there's been a lot of sitting and waiting. My one yesterday didn't start till 3:30 so I hung around at the mobile clinic all day then ten minutes in to teaching it started pouring and I just had to call it quits. A 9 hour day with nothng accomplished. It has been storming at night the past few days so the temp drops a lot for sleeping. Still perfect days though.
Life on the farm has been full of gin rummy tournaments. I had to start taking my Cipro, which for those of you who have travelled know the misery that lead up to that. One night, I'm in the bathroom stall around 1am, I heard one of the dogs in a fight with something outside and refused to leave until I knew it was over. Probably just another stray dog but you'd be surprised what can go through your head when it's pitch black and you hear growling and fighting and you remember you're in Africa. I also found a black widow spider that night. Not as threatening a feeling as growling in the dark.
I'm going up to Kisumu this weekend to see Lake Victoria then I start another weeklong session on Monday. I'd love to write more but there's quite a line for this computer and my hutmate has a cold Tusker waiting for me at the bar down the street.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Since I can't keep the drugs you're on straight, I decided to look up Cipro. I found this highly disturbing sentence: "Heavy exercise is discouraged, as achilles tendon rupture has been reported in patients taking ciprofloxacin."
That is terrifying. Possibly even more terrifying than growls in the night.
Expect an email kinda soon.
Post a Comment