Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's as common to hear "Obama!!" as it is to hear hello.

The last two mornings I've woken up with a kitten sleeping with me. She must wiggle her way under my mosquito net in the middle of the night. It's a nice little ammenity!

My class "graduated" on Friday and I was so happy to see just how proud they were of themselves. They all wanted pictures with their certificates and we even had a woman in Bungoma make us a cake :) I think next week I just have a few one day awareness sessions scheduled, but I have another week long session after that. Time is flying!

On Saturday a few of us went South to the Kakamega rainforest. We hired a guide who navigated us through and was much keener to spot the monkeys high in the canopy. Not a whole lot of wildlife besides the monkeys but some magnificent trees and just a great experience to be there. We had difficulty catching a matatu back into town because it was getting dark so a guy offered to drive us there. That's what I'm finding all over this country. People are so kind, so willing to help. Four peope got out of a matatu yesterday and caught another one just so my friends and I could stay together. Not once have I ever felt in danger or really discriminated against. People stare, they call out "mzungu", but it's all really innocent. I get approached daily by strangers wanting to just shake my hand, and even if they dont know English to just smile. Even during police checkpoints (at least once a day) they smile with their AK47s and chirp "hello madam how are you!" when they peer in (although I did have my driver get arrested the other day but they were just looking for money from him).

Showering this morning was pretty trecherous. Usually there is a kettle of water over a fire and a few scoops of that into a bucket, then filling the rest of the way with water from the well makes a lukewarm way to get "clean" but weekends don't hold the joy of the hot water. And well water... it's freaking cold. I also did my laundry today which is a three bucket system of wash, rinse, rinse. But although it all smells a million times better I'm unsure of just how clean it really is! Handwashing is a skill apaprently.

I'm developing what can only be described as a mild tan (read: freckles). Pretty wild. I'm looking forward to hanging around the farm for the rest of the day and doing a lot of nothing. Maybe a walk if the weather cools down a bit. Today was the hottest it's been in a while.. somewhere in the high 80s I'd say. Nights are mid 70s although last night was about 66 and that felt chilly. I think on the way back I'll catch a motor boda. A boda boda is a bicylce with a seat above the wheel for passengers, and a motor boda is like a motorcylcle only not as fancy. I took one in Uganda and although initially a little scary, it's a fun ride on nice days.

Ha. I'm in Africa. That's crazy.

2 comments:

Northwest Passages said...

I'm really enjoying reading your views on everything. I feel like I'm there, too. Again, proud, proud, proud. Be safe my little girl in Kenya. xxoomom

Northwest Passages said...

So Gia may be a "mouser" after all. She was acting extra strange by the stove and looking underneath it. I didn't think anything of it except maybe ants. But then she starts getting slightly aggitated and I can tell she saw something move. I had dad move the stove and in the corner was the smallest baby mouse. Dad just scooped it up and put it outside. Gia wanted to be there for that but we locked her out. Does one mouse mean more??? mom