I had a whole blog done a few days ago and then the internet wiped out. Let's try this again.
First day or so was hard. Mostly I think because it was travelling, alone, with a pretty bad language barrier, a not so great understanding of the exchange rate, in a country that will rip off any mzungu (white person) they can. But I successfully navigated the hostel, Nairobi, the bus station, and a wicked bad 9 hour bus ride to Bungoma. The roads here are anything but flat. But whiplash aside it was a good way to see the country. Much greener than expected, especially along the Great Rift Valley. The povery level was astonishing, even though I knew to expect it. Most structures are mud or concrete shacks with aluminum/tin roofing. I did, however, pass a herd of zebra and several baboons.
Safely at the farm I met the other volunteers who immediately took me into town to celebrate the last night of a few of them. Now town, however big, is a unlike anywhere I've ever been. Dirt roads, all markets on the sidewalk, and constant approaches by street children. But it was a good introduction to everyone. I slept like a baby that night.
I was whisked away the next day. Mtatus are shuttles/taxis of a sort. They run constantly and pick up anyone by the side of the road and pile you in. For a vehicle that is probably made to hold 10 or so I've been in a few that have had well over 20 people. But it gets your where you need to go and it's cheap. So we took one to the Ugandan border and crossed over, and took another 3 hour one to the town of Jinja. We spent the weekend exploring and white water rafting down the Nile. That's right. And it's just as amazing as it sounds. Granted, I felt like I was facing my death a few times when our raft would flip mid-rapid and the rest just battered down upon you until some helpful fellow in a kayak met you once it calmed and rescued you. We stayed at a great campsite right on the bank and enjoyed a bar-b-que, Ugandan beer, hot showers, and another great sleep. The trip back was not so enjoyable. A bus that broke down, a mtatu who kicked us out because it's passengers had a problem with mzungus, and hitting the border after dark which meant difficult and ultimately more expensive to find a ride home. But all worked out in the end.
Today I observed at the mobile clinic. It seems like such an uphill battle. Someone would come in, pay their 50 shillings (less than $1 US) and it would cover a consultation and any needed medication. But what do you do when someone comes in and says they have xyz symptoms and all you can do is listen to their lungs and take their blood pressure? Narrow it down to malaria, worms, arthritis, infection. But it's so much speculation especially with vague symptoms and no testing available. You prescribe what you can. It was pretty sobering. For the few hours after that till we came back to town I just played soccer with a bunch of the local kids. Kids in general here are absolutely facinated with white people. Most just congregate around and state blankly. They all shake your hand and just stare until you walk away. Just curiosity, nothing malicious. Most know how to say "Hello" and "How are you" and they repeat it over and over. My swahili is getting better quickly, though. I begin my HIV/AIDS classes tomorrow and am pretty excited to see how that goes. Most of the programs go deep into rural Western Kenya and it's absolutely amazing to explore.
So... all in all, I'm getting used to things. Showering from a bucket. Peeing into a hole in the ground (and we're not talking latrines.. I'm talking a hole in the ground... literally). Haggling for the price of everything. And taking chancse I never would have. I can't believe a week has passed already. I think I am going to continue to get comfortable and it's going to make everything that much better.
Everyone is in my thoughts and though I am having a great time, I miss everyone greatly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sounds very exciting. I know you will get the hang of everything and be the one people remember. Of course, as your mom, I am so glad to hear anything from you. I've wondered about your traveling, your adapting, your eating. You name it, I've wondered it. My soul is filled with pride and trepidation. Know that you are loved and missed. (meow). xxoomom
Jill, I commend you for what you are doing and wish you much success. I have a son in the Army who is currenly serving in Afghanistan, you unlike him are not in a "danger" zone but you are both doing great things. You however have it a little more challanging and the idea of being somewhere so out of touch with what we are used to is quite an adventure. To have been given the opportunity to experience it is quite amazing. I'm sure this will make you really appreciate all the things that we take for granted. Good luck and keep up the blogs, I enjoy reading them.
Jill, you are a very gifted writer. You seem to effortlessly convey what you are seeing and what you are feeling. I love reading your entries. Keep them coming! Aunt Barbara
Post a Comment